Unique Student Identifier
What is a Unique Student Identifier?
All students studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, will be required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). A USI is an account (or reference number) made up of numbers and letters. The USI will allow all students online access to training records and results (transcript) through an online USI account.
- A USI is required for all new and continuing students undertaking nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses to receive their statement of attainment or qualification.
- The USI will be available online and at no cost to students.
- This USI will stay with your students for life and be recorded with any nationally recognised VET course that is undertaken from the 1 January 2015.
- Any students can access their USI accounts online from computers, tablets or their smart phones anytime.
- The process is the same for students who wish to obtain a USI or for an RTO setting up the USI on the students behalf.
Changes for training organisations
The introduction of the USI will link with the new VET data collection and reporting requirements . The USI is now a mandatory data field for reporting nationally recognised training.
The USI is a requirement under Commonwealth legislation and conditions of registration for training organisations. You must have a valid USI for your students before you issue a student with a qualification or statement of attainment. This applies to:
- New students
- Pre-enrolled students
- Continuing students
- School students completing nationally recognised training
You will not be required to apply for USIs on behalf of your students, however this service is available through the USI Registry and may be the most appropriate option for your business model or in some circumstances.
You can access this service through the website or alternatively via a webserver interface with your Student Management System.